(12 Credit Hours)
The Graduate School of the College of Charleston offers two certificate programs in this field:
Certificate I gives new ESOL teachers a solid foundation with which to enter the classroom.*
Certificate II builds upon that foundation.
* South Carolina public school teachers must already be certified in another content area in order to add on ESOL licensure. No such requirement is needed for teaching overseas, or for teaching adults.
- Official college transcripts
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or better
- Second language learning experience as documented by any of the following:
- Six semester hours in courses in a single second language
- Intensive language training by the Peace Corps, Foreign Service Institute or the Defense Language Institute
- Placement by the language department of an accredited institution in a third- semester level, and demonstration of second-language proficiency as verified in writing by an official designated by the S.C. Department of Education for languages unavailable at accredited institutions
in-state: $455 per credit hour
out-of-state: $1,160 per credit hour
Fall: April 1
Spring: November 1
Angela Crespo Cozart