- CougarNation joins the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA).
- Princeton Review Names us “Best Value College” and “Top Green College.”
- New York Times Magazine calls us one of the “Hottest Colleges.”
- The Department of Communication’s Bully Pulpit Series brought all major Republican candidates to campus, as well as a rally with Stephen Colbert, several CNN shows including Anderson Cooper 360, and a forum hosted by Mike Huckabee and Fox News.
- Other notables on campus in 2012 include Pulitzer Prize-winner Jon Meacham, Author Jonathan Safran Foer, and Former Coca-Cola CEO Neville Isdell.
- Spanish Professor Devon Hanahan and Math Professor Martin Jones are named to the Princeton Review’s list of “Best 300 Professors in U.S.”
- History Professor Cara Delay and Teacher Education Professor mutindi ndunda were awarded Fulbright Scholarships.
- The Graduate School celebrated its largest graduating class and the Bonner Leader program celebrated its first graduates.
- A sophomore presented her coral reef research at a U.N. Conference.
MIGHTY FEATS OF ATHLETICISM
- Basketball Player Andrew Lawrence (England) and Sailor Juan Maegli (Guatemala) represented their countries in the Summer Olympics.
- Both basketball teams hire new coaches: Doug Wojcik (men’s basketball) and Natasha Adair (women’s basketball).
- Women’s Tennis Player Caroline Newman won the Arthur Ashe Award.
- Volleyball Player Darcy Dorton named an AVCA All-American Honorable Mention.
- The Sailing team was named National Champions – ISCA/APS Team Race.
- Women’s Tennis, Men’s Tennis and Volleyball win the SoCon Championship.
- Volleyball and Baseball go to the NCAA Tournament.
- Sand Volleyball goes to AVCA Tournament.
- Men’s Swimming and Diving wins the CCSA Championship.
INCREDIBLE GIFTS AND GRANTS
- Chemistry Professor Wendy Cory is awarded nearly $600,000 from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Chemistry Professor Pam Riggs-Gelasco is awarded $1.4 million from the Howard Hughes Institute.
- Boeing funds Teacher Education Professor Olivia Thompson’s pilot Farm-to-School initiative.
- Samuel and Regina Shapiro give $2 million to Jewish Student Life.
- Steve Swanson ’89 and his wife Emily ’89 give $2.25 million for scholarships.
- YOUR gift led to a record-breaking fundraising year with $14.7 million raised!
MORE TO MARVEL
- The College community got involved in the First Can’t Hide the Pride Weekend.
- Happy 100th birthday to Former College President Ted Stern!